Tuesday, August 16, 2011

New Beginnings

We are about to start a brand new school year and we will be making lots of exciting changes in kindergarten.  Our room has a new look to accommodate our shift to facilitating a more independent learning environment.  Yes-I will be actively working toward making 5 year olds independent in THEIR classroom.  While this is not a HUGE shift for our kindergarten team, given that we are very child-focused in the first place; we are placing much more emphasis on it through two new programs- Investigations and The Daily 5.  I am really looking forward to seeing my students take ownership of their learning and learn as much from the thinking of their classmates as they learn from me :)

In order for my students to be independent, my room has to be organized and labeled.  We also have to practice our routines to establish muscle memory, so everything has to be opened up to create lots of space for learning.  Below are some pictures of my classroom this year.  It looks so bare- I can't wait to fill it up with lots of great student work :)

Math Center

Community Circle

Book Boxes and Reading Area


Loft and Home Living

Behavior Management
 Classroom Shots





No comments:

Post a Comment